Degree Works for Students

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a comprehensive academic roadmap to help students navigate through a wide range of courses, requirements, and academic policies. Maintained by the Office of the Registrar, the Degree Works degree audit provides clear and visual representation of academic progress, displaying completed courses, in-progress coursework, and outstanding requirements.

Degree Works allows students to easily explore different academic scenarios using the “What-If” tool. The platform is user-friendly allowing students to make informed decisions about course selection and take charge of their academic journey.

Using Degree Works

Degree Works displays all graduation requirements and fulfils requirements based on an algorithm intended to use the quickest path to degree completion. If a student is pursuing multiple degrees, each degree has a separate audit, and any minors or associated requirements are displayed.

Degree requirements in the audit include:

  • Coursework
  • GPA
  • Credit totals
  • Grade Requirements

Learn how to access and interpret your audit

Important Notes About Degree Works

While Degree Works may seem like having an advisor on-hand 24/7, it is not a replacement for actual conversations with academic and major advisors. Departments reserve the right to modify requirements or grant exceptions. When all remaining requirements are in progress, the audit’s degree progress should reach 98%. After all grades have posted and all requirements are complete, the audit’s degree progress should reach 100%.


Students are encouraged to use Degree Works as a guide when planning progress toward completion of degree requirements. Contact an academic advisor for assistance in interpreting the audit or regarding official degree/certificate completion status. The Degree Works audit is not an academic transcript, and it is not official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements. Please contact the Registrar's Office to obtain a copy of your official academic transcript.

Degree Works FAQs

When should I look at my degree audit?

Students should frequently review their degree audit at least four times a semester. You should review your audit:

  • Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for the upcoming semester.
  • After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements as expected.
  • After your grades for each semester are posted.
  • Any time you make a change to your schedule or your academic program (degree, major, minor, and/or certificate).

Degree Works will be extremely helpful in scenarios such as the following:

  • Meeting with your academic, program, or major advisor
  • Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor
  • Identifying courses needed to complete your degree
  • Determining what major(s) or program(s) of study you would like to pursue
  • Deciding whether to add a minor or certificate
  • Evaluating progress towards degree completion
  • Evaluating a change of academic program
Can I use my Degree Works audit as my transcript?

No. Your Degree Works audit can replace neither an official, nor an unofficial transcript. It is solely an evaluation tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays the courses required and completed in your degree program.

Your academic transcript is your official university record and provides a chronological list of courses, and the associated earned grades, completed in your academic history. Your official transcript must be requested from the Office of the Registrar.

How current is my information in Degree Works?

Degree Works is refreshed nightly. Any changes made will be updated and available the following day.

What is “Catalog Term” and what does that mean?

Catalog Term is the academic term for which a degree candidate must meet documented graduation requirements. University graduation requirements and each academic program's curricular (major, minor, or certificate) requirements are officially documented in the University Catalog).

Your Degree Catalog term is normally the term in which you entered the degree program. Your Major/Minot catalog term is normally the term in which you declared the major/minor (with some exceptions, especially the Freeman School of Business). If a catalog term says “Undeclared,” you have not officially declared that program of study and should consult your advisor.

How do I change my “Catalog Term”?

A degree candidate seeking to change the "Catalog Term" in Degree Works should consult their academic advisor. Only after consultation with and approval from the advisor can a catalog term be changed.

I’m a double major. Could I have different “Catalog Terms” for each major?

Yes, it is possible. A student with multiple majors can have different Catalog Terms for each program depending on when the major was declared. When declaring the major or minor, students and advisors should identify and clearly document the set of major requirements to be followed.

Connect with us to learn more about Degree Works.